Times Literary Supplement, The
The Times, Times Literary Supplement, TLS
the most notable of the British literary journals of the twentieth century. It originated in the introduction of additional book-reviewing to The Times in 1902 as a means of filling space created by the absence of parliamentary reports during the summer recess. The literary supplement thus created was distributed as part of the newspaper until 1914, when the Times Literary Supplement became an independent weekly publication. Sir Bruce Richmond, the editor from 1902 until 1937, consolidated its standing as a journal of quality and authority, recruiting the best literary journalists and scholars available; the scope of its reviews and articles quickly extended to include history, archaeology, philosophy, politics, and the arts in general. T. S. Eliot, Virginia Woolf, Edgell Rickword, F. S. Flint, John Middleton Murry, Lewis Namier, Sir James Frazer, and G. M. Trevelyan were among the authors whose work appeared under Richmond's editorship. The TLS, as it came to be known, was the last major periodical to preserve the anonymity of its contributors, a procedure which was not dispensed with until John Gross assumed the editorship in 1974. Industrial action by journalists resulted in the closure of the TLS for fifty-one weeks in 1978 and 1979, a period in which several new literary periodicals were launched to cater for its readership. In addition to reviewing between thirty and sixty books each week, the journal publishes essays and poems by leading authors.