Tuileries, former royal palace in Paris. Situated on the right bank of the River Seine, the palace was built by order of Catherine de Medici (1564) and was completed in the 1600s. Forced into use as a residence by King Louis XVI and his queen, Marie Antoinette, during the French Revolution (1789), it was also used during the 1790s by revolutionary leaders to hold session and by Napoleon, who made it his primary residence after taking power. After the Bourbon restoration (1814–15) it once again became a royal residence before being destroyed by fire during the Paris Commune uprisings of 1871. The 75-acre (30-hectare) Tuileries Gardens remain affiliated with the Louvre museum.