Other Free Encyclopedias » 21st Century Webster's Family Encyclopedia » 21st Century Webster's Family Encyclopedia - Erasistratus to Federalism

Federal Highway Administration

highways pay improvement fhwa

Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), U.S. Department of Transportation agency that supervises federal aid for construction, operation, and improvement of highways. Established by Congress in 1966, the FHWA oversees about 835,000 mi (1,344,000 km) of U.S. highways. The federal government pays 90% of the cost of construction and improvement of interstate highways, while the states pay the remaining 10%. For state or local highways, the federal government pays 75% and the states pay 25%.

Federal Home Loan Bank Board [next] [back] Federal Hall

User Comments

Your email address will be altered so spam harvesting bots can't read it easily.
Hide my email completely instead?

Cancel or